Friday, August 27, 2010

How soon is too soon to put out the Fall Decorations?

Happy Early Autumn

Am I the only one who is ready to be done with summer?  Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, but August is almost over, the kids are back in school and the beach is a fading memory.  It is time to move on, look forward to the cool mornings and falling leaves.  Oh, I forgot, we live in Houston and it is still in the high 90's around here.  The perils of living on the Texas coast.  How I long for four distinct seasons.

My favorite time of year has always been Autumn, which is really unfortunate because as a Texan, you have to pretend your way through this season.  I crank down the AC, light candles in the fireplace and bake pumpkin bread.  I do not care what is going on outside.  The first year we moved to Houston, about a week before Halloween, I threw together some costumes and marched our bunch up and down the cul-de-sac to be greeted by friendly neighbors who offered candy, treats and OFF mosquito repellent.  No more lion and tiger costumes made from fake fur and head pieces (our daughter's favorite), we were switching to something cooler.

So, to answer my own question, which I like to do, I am going to officially state that the Fall decorations can come down out of the attic on September 1st.  You can wait until October if you like, but I will be listening to Christmas music, looking through Holiday magazines and drinking hot cocoa by then. 

Please beware,  the spiced pumpkin candles are lit and the recipes for Fall are already out on the counter, so if you are strict about observing holiday protocols (no white shoes after Labor Day and all that), feel free to file them away.  Just think, you'll have a head start on the holidays, and who doesn't need that!

No comments:

Post a Comment