Thursday, November 19, 2009

Super Secret Pumpkin Bread Recipe


Walls Family Pumpkin Bread



My twelve year old son had a fit when I told him that I was going to post my pumpkin bread recipe on the "Growing Gourmets" blog. 


"But that's a secret family recipe," he protested.  


How sweet!  I smiled to myself and reassured him that if you have something wonderful, it's important to share it with others.  The best part of the story is that, contrary to his belief, the recipe is not one that was passed down in our family.  Back in my post college, pre-marriage days, I acquired a pumpkin bread recipe from a coworker that was pretty good.  BUT...I didn't like this and I added a little of that and made the recipe my own.  


Now, we make it every Fall and it has become my most requested recipe from friends and family.  Every birthday, preschool party, teacher gift and open house since, has included this family favorite and, in his eyes, it is a FAMILY TRADITION!  So, from our home to yours, we share the beloved "pumpkin bread" recipe and hope it brings you full tummies and happy hearts.


Happy Thanksgiving from the Walls!!


Pumpkin Bread
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
3 eggs
2 cups pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 cups molasses
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour two loaf pans.  


In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices and set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar and eggs.  Beat with mixers on medium speed until creamy.  Add the pumpkin puree and molasses and continue beating until thoroughly mixed.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, beating on low speed until incorporated.  Do not over mix the batter.  Pour batter into the greased and floured loaf pans, dividing batter evenly between the two pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of bread comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment